Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Xeriscape Garden - Wexford Plantation

Xeriscape Garden


Okay, if you are like me, you have no idea what that means... Xeriscape.  So, I did what every modern woman does, I googled it.  Basically it means water wise.  In my head, I am thinking of a garden of exotic plants that don't need a lot of water.  I start thinking of all the fun things the girls and I can do at this garden... sort by attributes, pictures, drawings, picnic etc.  
So, today we go to this Xeriscape Garden.  It is in front of the entrance to Wexford plantation, and it is right next to the Courthouse.  I had a hard time finding the garden because there are no signs say, "This way to Xeriscape Garden."  I ended up parking in the reserved parking, and walking.  As it turns out, the garden is right there at the reserved parking.  Odd, but it works.  The first thing we see is a beautiful water fountain.  We walk over a wooden bridge and look at the water fountain.  My youngest loves it!!  A very nice lady stops and talks to us.  She tells us that there is a gator in the water, but it usually stays away.  My girls are learning not to feed the gators!!  Alligators are common on the island, but usually stay in the water near their food source.  They only become a problem if they are being fed.  The woman points out the small gator (and I know if was not an adult because it still had it's stripes)  as it is floating in the water.  The girls and I move on in the garden ready for our exotic plants.  So far we saw palm trees (nothing new for us) and ferns (still nothing new).  We walk a little more on the path.  Majority of the plants are overgrown, and look a lot like weeds.  There is a man there, and it looks like he is working on the weeds and plants (maybe we will come back (we as in my husband and I).  The best part of the garden is the steps to the courthouse (council area). My girls loved running up and down the ramps and stairs.  We saw a lizard climbing up the wood work (that was pretty cool).  We have a lot of lizards in our own garden in the backyard, but they are always grey because our fence is grey.  I convinced the girls to move on over another wooden bridge, this one was much smaller and skinnier.  We looked at the water fountain on this side.  I tried to take pictures of the girls on a bench with the palm trees overgrown and the water in the background, but it wasn't going to happen.  The girls were bored, and there was not a flower in sight.  Now, I know it is June, but there are still some flowers that could have been growing during this time.  We start walking back to the car, and we see a flower!! Okay, it might have been a weed.  I try to get the girls excited, but they were done.  Sorry, no pictures at this time.
I enjoyed the small garden and walking around looking at the plants.  They do have stakes in the ground with the name of the plants (and I think the Latin names too), but my girls did not.  In their minds, you seen one green plant, you have seen them all.  I would suggest that if you go, wear bug spray. The bugs got me!!  Also, I think spring might be a better time to visit this garden.  This is not a place to take young kids, but it is very nice for the adult side of me.
As, before I will try and recommend a local restaurant for lunch if you visit this park.  I would say drive around the circle to the British Open Pub.  My father loves the fish and chips.  
Xeriscape Garden and it's principles.
Here is our 1st look from the parking lot we parked in. 
The first water fountain. 
One of the plants.
The second water fountain.
The best part of the park for the girls.  They loved running around.  
Our green lizard friend. 
The skinny bridge.
Trying so hard to get her picture.  
One of the beautiful views from the bridge.  

No comments: