Friday, June 28, 2013

Frozen sidewalk paint

Alright, frozen homemade chalk... I know odd.  But, being the pinterest person I am, I thought I should try some of the things I have pinned. (http://pinterest.com/arinn18/toddler-crafts/) One of the things was Ice Chalk.  It is 1/2 cornstarch and 1/2 water (same a Oobleck), and then you add the food coloring for the colors.  I froze it in my funky Halloween ice cube trays.  I also made the girls frozen carrots and mango Popsicles.  They were real easy to make.  It takes me back to my baby food making day.  I enjoy "cooking" with the girls. The next day, we were all set.   Knowing what I know about food coloring, I took the girls clothes off and let them run around in diaper and pull-up.  The neighbors love us (actually we have great neighbors).  We lathered up the sun screen and went outside.  I popped open the frozen chalk out and wow!!  We live in South Carolina and the ice melted so fast.  I used this time to talk about the colors (I only did red, blue, and yellow).  I tried to have the girls mix the colors.  We have read the story Mice Paint  by Ellen Stoll Walsh, so I took this time to have the girls mix the paint.  Everything was happening so fast.  The sun was doing it's job!  We were getting messy and running out of chalk.  I started having the girls try to make their hand and foot prints.  We had a good time comparing the sizes of our feet, but everything was drying up so fast.  In the end, we took a bowl of water and washed our hands and feet.  Then we threw the water on our master piece.  Everything dried up, and we just had a yellow/ blue/ red blur on the sidewalk.  My oldest, loved it. She was so proud of it, and couldn't wait to show her daddy the painting.  If I had to change anything, it would be to try it in larger ice cube trays, and to do it earlier in the year (spring time).  Overall, it was fun for about 15 minutes.  It was educational, and I would try it again.  First I will try some of the other pinned items... Keep looking!





Mixing colors


Watching the frozen chalk melt and eating our homemade carrots and mango Popsicles.  
Wardell
Our hands were so messy!!
They melted so fast!!
Making foot prints in the melted chalk.  
Our ending master piece!!

Materials needed:
- Funky ice cube trays
- food coloring
- cornstarch
-water

Directions:
Mix same amount of water and cornstarch together (I used 1/4 cup for each color).
Then add in the food coloring.
Mix it and pour into the ice cube trays.
Freeze overnight.
Enjoy!!


No comments: