Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sidewalk Paint


Okay, so our frozen side walk paint did not work out perfect for us, so I thought... let's try another.  So, we tried sidewalk paint  Why not?  We love painting!!  And it can't melt since it is not frozen.  This activity is another pinterest one.  (http://pinterest.com/arinn18/toddler-crafts/)  This time I knew it was going to work for us!  I mixed each individual ones with food coloring and had great colors for the girls.  I carefully carried it outside and placed it on the sidewalk for the girls.  I gave them both a paint brush and let them go at it.  
Ready to paint

This time I did not take the girls clothing off... I left them in their play clothes.  The girls sat down and started to paint.  At first we didn't really see anything showing up.  So, the girls started to mix the colors to see what would happen.  They weren't really into the paint and nothing really showing up.  Once it started to dry, we did see the lines and dots they had made, but my girls were not into the waiting for it to dry.  


Mixed all the paint.

The girls ended up with a green mess.  They started to splash everywhere and try to finger paint with it.  You can see in the next picture the spots we made with the paint brushes, everything else was with the splish and splash of the little hands.  Since we had done the frozen paint, they remembered making the feet print.  They both tried to stick their feet in the cupcake tin.  Ha ha!  We made an even more mess, but it was fun.  

Splashes from the cupcake pan. 
You can see a few of the painting makes we made.  

And... just so that you know, all of this washed away in the rain.  Also, my grass has not been affected by any of the food coloring and corn starch.  Hey... it is all natural, so it shouldn't.  Also, reflecting back on this activity, I would change some things.  I would use huge paint brushes for the girls not regular paint brushes.  I would also make more of each color and leave them in a larger container.  The cupcake pan was great because they could not pick it up  or knock it over.  I would also take their clothing off, it  did get all over their clothes.  I will try this painting activity again.  I just have to find a way to make it work for us.  


Materials:
-¼ cup cornstarch 
-¼ cup cold water 
-6 to 8 drops of food coloring 
Steps:
1. Put cornstarch in a small plastic bowl and gradually stir in the cold water.
 2. Add your desired food coloring and stir. 
3. Repeat the process to create different colors. 
4. Put the sidewalk paint into containers to use (I used the cupcake baking sheet since that is what I saw on pinterest)

No comments: