Saturday, June 22, 2013

Tuesday Night Fireworks


The Tuesday Night fireworks
Okay, everyone that lives on the island knows about Tuesday night fire works at Shelter Cove.  Of course, if you live here, you should go.  I am one of the people that don't always take advantage of the stuff around me.  So,  I packed up the girls and went.  I knew the fireworks started at dusk.  Now when is dusk?  I assumed 8:30 ish.  But I knew that there was free music and fun for the kiddos.  At 6 we left our house.  Guess what?!?!  There was already security out directing traffic, obviously I have really been missing out.  Now, it is important to know that I keep my girls on a schedule.  (Hey! It is is the teacher in me) The youngest is in bed at 7 and the oldest in bed at 7:30.  My husband works nights, and since I am usually the only on that puts the girls in bed, I have to do it at 2 different times (it works for me).  Anyways, getting back on track, I am once again alone at night, and say "I can do it!"  I am directed to a parking spot, and settle in.  I was smart enough to bring the double stroller.  We had a good walk to get to Shelter Cove.  Remember we were there before 6:30, and had to park a good amount away.  I had to park in the business area.  We start walking over the wooden bridge into Shelter Cove.  As soon as we get to Kingfisher, there are booths set up to sell the tourist  tours and such.  But, there was FREE hair braiding and face painting!!!  Yippee!!  Both girls got their hair braided.  The two girls that were there braiding hair was so good with my girls, and they did an excellent job on their hair.  The face painting for free too, and they painted my girls hands instead of faces for them to be able to see.  The paint came right off in the bath.  Once we were done tipping the girls for the braiding and face painting, we were off again.  We walked past restaurants and shops.  At majority of the restaurants, there was a live singer outside singing.  We did not stop for them, I knew they were not the main show.  We kept walking till we go to the middle with.... Shannon Tanner!!!  The girls enjoyed the music, and got out to the stroller to dance.  There was also 2 jump houses for the kids to jump in.  You pay $5 for all the jump you want.  Bu of course, Bethany did not want to jump.  She wore her wrist band proudly, and she would wait patiently in line.  Once she got up the entrance, she would lose it!!  Oh well, I attempted several times with no luck.  So, we decided to get a drink.  We stopped at the local ice cream shop right on the corner, and got each of us a slushie.  I truly believe that the slushie was the highlight of the night for the girls.  They loved the sugary drinks.  Hey! It's not every day we do this, besides they would need the sugar to stay up to watch the fireworks (okay, I feel a little guilty about the amount of sugar they had).  Back on the stage, I pushed the stroller right behind Shannon Tanner, and the girls danced until he took a break about 7:30ish.  He said they would start back up again at 8 to bring in the fireworks.  Oh boy!! The time was getting close.  I round up the girls, and start back over the bridge.  I did not want to be stuck at night pushing the stroller to the car.  On the other side of the cove, I pull out the towel to sit on and the bubbles for the girls.  The girls ran around the small area I would already let them run around, and popped as many bubbles as they were able.  I knew they would not sit and wait, so I was smart enough to bring something to entertain them.   There was already a group of people gathered around, and I didn't want to lose the girls.  While waiting for the fireworks, one of the great things about living on an island happened.... two dolphins swam right into the cove we were sitting around.  I think they were looking for food, and the rocks other kids were throwing into the water attracted them.  The girls were screaming, "Dolphins!".  Everyone around us was taking pictures.  It was honestly a magical moment.  While sitting there, I started to get nervous about what time the fireworks were going to start.  It was past 8:30 and no sign of fireworks.  At 9, I was thinking this wasn't going to happen for us tonight (remember the schedule thing... getting way nervous now).  Then.... I hear it.... a cannon go off.  That noise was the sign of the beginning!  The girls were already in the stroller ready for the fireworks.  They it happens, the sky lights up with colors!  Both girls were a little nervous at first, but they watched the colorful display.   I will say, I don't think we will be going again this year.  The whole thing was way too late for us.  I might go for a special surprise for the kiddos to dance and get the slushie. Who knows?  Overall it was a great experience and I am so happy the girls and I did it. 
Little one Cheesin'
The best part... the slushie!!

No comments: